Wednesday 24 October 2012

ASILE


From: Ottawa, ON Canada
Members of: BASTARDATOR, CRITICAL CONVICTIONS, and THE DIRTY NUNS
For fans of: AFTER THE BOMBS, SKITSYSTEM, and DISCHARGE
Made up words: D-beat and Crust
Internets: purevolume.com Includes two streaming tracks.

ASILE is in my top 3 Ottawa bands right now for sure. Incredibly tight and full sound with awesome, noisey guitar solos over HEAVY guitars and a pounding rhythm section. The vocals strike me as a relatively weak point for this band as there just isn't anything particularly interesting there in terms of either the sound or placement of the words. Although I do appreciate the heavy reverb/echo sound present in their records that is so reminiscent of the pioneering bands of this genre. It's always inspired images in my mind of loudspeakers pumping out fear inspiring and morale crushing propaganda meant for the other side of the trenches on a battlefield in a war somewhere. I don't speak French, so I could only really guess at the lyrical content. I'm going to have someone read the lyrics sheet included with their recent 12" release called "Kichesippi Toxique" (Rust and Machine records, 2012) and let me know what's happening and give their opinion soon though.
In addition to their aforementioned full length record, they also have a demo tape floating around. Both are well worth a listen, and if you like the genre, you will definitely like this band. Their live show is fantastic too. I rarely think otherwise, so this isn't to knock their recordings, but seeing them live is absolutely crucial if you want to "get" this band. Fucking rad.

No comments:

Post a Comment